To All The Flowers I've Killed Before

What a welcome you have given us this spring.
I love you. Oh yes, I do. I love how you have taken over a whole tree. So very glad to see you here.Little lily-but-not-of-the-valley. (What are these again Terry?). There are so many of you. Even someone with a thumb as black as mine surely couldn't harm you. You beautiful gaudy-bright poisonous blooms! I planted your cousin many years ago. Alas, he did not survive. Thank you for flourishing right here, where I promise to try to keep you happy.
Lovely, living lilacs. In my first house there were some such as you. In the seven years we lived there, they only bloomed once. I was so surprised to see you bursting out with joy this spring! You smell so wonderful.Wonderful, snowy trees! What are you? Veiled in white, so peaceful and gorgeous. Thank you for living in my back yard.
Cheery, waving tulips! Hello! I saw your leaves peeking through the soil weeks ago and have anticipated your arrival!
You're beautiful.Oh, yes, you are.And undoubtedly, a frenemy I could not kill if I wanted to. Amazing little seed pods that -- with the slightest touch!--release a popcorn-shoot of seeds everywhere! Popping like mad.
I'll forgive you, little popping bittercress. Because you are edible. Not that I ever plan to eat you. But if I have to, I can.
So sorry, little herbs, to keep you pining away at the window. You so want to go outside, but there is nowhere for you to go!This space is taken, and another is not yet ready!Looking forwards to warm nights to come. Marshmallows and s'mores. Fun for everyone.
Men are hard at work today, building -- what could it be?
I'll give you a feather of a hint.

12 comments:

Rhonda Jean said...

Hi Moey, thanks for the invitation. The flowers are gorgeous. :- )

Terry said...

IS TOM BUILDING A CHICKEN COOP??? That is so neat, and I am so jealous!!!!! And those flowers are lily of the valley....you will not kill them, I used to mow them when they got a bit out of control:-) I love the pics of the wisteria; have your peonies come up yet?? And the stumps for seats around the fire pit are perfect!! You are so clever!!!

The Arts Collective said...

I believe your snowy white blossoming tree is dogwood. I am jealous too!! The flowers are simply wonderful. Have fun with the chook pen and the mini gardens--I'm sure you'll do well.

Love you! XOXOXOX MOM

MoeyMichele said...

Yep, a chicken coop. Terry, Tom used a wooden bed frame from the garage as a base for the floor :-) Thanks for the info about the lily-of-the-valley -- I misunderstood your email, thinking "well that LOOKS and SMELLS like lily-of-the-valley, but it must not be!" LOL. The peonies are tall and right now bearing little perfectly round buds. I have also planted and killed peonies before, so I'm looking forward to seeing these ones in bloom. How many of the plants did you do, and how many were Hilda's? It's like the whole place was planted just for me!!

Mom, the snowy white blossoming trees are definitely not dogwood. They look like fruit tree blossoms gone crazy, so I'm guessing some sort of ornamental fruit (cherry?) derivative. It would be too much to hope that they were actually fruit trees. LOL. Terry might be able to shed some light on that.

Welcome Rhonda Jean!!

Terry said...

yep, its an ornamental cherry; the kind you see all over Cincy this time of year. If I remember right though, the beautiful flowering tree next to the picture window is the dogwood? That one might not be blooming yet. Most of the plants are Hilda and Arthur's...I added bulbs and echinacea and other perennials. Glad you like the tulips:-)

Anonymous said...

I like your new lyrics - I can hear WIllie Nelson singing in my mind "To all the flowers I killed before" - Very nice - enjoyed the blog

Unknown said...

Wow, JEALOUS!! Everything is so beautiful....love you!

Ally Jay said...

The flowers are beautiful. I love cherry blossom. How many chickens are you planning on?

Mama to 12, so far said...

what a sweet and charming post! I thought he was building a picnic table.

Amber said...

BEAUTIFUL flowers!

Deb said...

I friggin miss you, Moey. :-(

Alipurr said...

been thinking about you tons lately....love the title on this one! i can relate...i love perennials it seems in between my 3 babies i have only had time to work in my yard every other year....oh well, some of them survive in spite of me...i have some of those little white ones, and i call them lily of the valley

your azaleas, tulips, lilacs, everything, wisteria, are gorgeous. I bet they smell wonderful, too!!!!

i have tons of irises that need to be lifted/separated, etc, and daylilies overgrown not blooming in the shade that beckon to me every year...help help we want to move over there where there is sunshine :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...