The Flower is a.....

Yellow Goat's-beard (tragopogon dubius).

See this page.

I got a look at the flowers today and yesterday. The reason I hadn't seen the flowers before, was that they close so early in the day. They looked like some kind of alien dandelion. Or a dandelion that crossed with...I don't know...some kind of weird botanical specimen, anyway.

Fortunately, I got a lead from a field guide, and found the answer on the Internet.

Never seen one before, but what we have is a CHAMPION specimen of trapogon dubius -- yellow goatsbeard.

And, the important thing...it's edible.

:-)

8 comments:

The Arts Collective said...

Hahaha--glad you found out what it is! Now, which parts are edible? Dandelion greens are edible if picked young, I wonder if it is the same for goatsbeard?

Love you XOXO

Becky K. said...

Interesting. I had no idea what it was!

Deb said...

Errr...yum yum?

:-P

Alipurr said...

wow, that thing is huge...it does look like a huge mutant version of a dandelion. I'd better not show these pics to my kids or else they will want some in our yard :)

A Joyful Chaos said...

How interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Deb said...

We are a pair of sorry suckers, Moey. Need to update blog!!

MoeyMichele said...

I think it's your turn.

MoeyMichele said...

I know! let's post pictures of our pregnancy tests.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...