Winter Surprises

I took a little walk down by the creek today, in the late afternoon sunshine.

The pine trees are dripping with pine cones!
And the creek was frozen over, although upstream a little, where the sun had shone during the day, water was trickling through, clear and icy cold.

It has been so very cold, so I was thankful that today warmed a little, and, most of all, that it was sunny.What are these buds? On the tree near the garage since fall. The foliage, in fall, turned bright bronze brown, and fell off the tree. But, these little fuzzy buds appeared, and over the winter have grown larger.

Somebody, please tell me this is a magnolia tree. Oh, please.

Down the back of the property, near a patch of woods, I spotted this little nest in a hedge bush. I like the almost cornucopia-like shape.

Ah, and here was a surprise on a bright, early, winter morning. Two little imps found the stash of leftover Christmas chocolate. One to unwrap, two to gobble.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Those kids are unreasonably, disgustingly cute. I'm so glad you took that photo! :-)

Still finding it hard to imagine the cold weather you are experiencing, although the pics help a little.

Love you!!

--Deb

The Arts Collective said...

Your photos are so wonderful! I still remember finding interesting things with Jeremy on our walks when we stayed with Grandma C a few years ago...it will be fun to keep watching those buds and see what happens!! And oh, the little imps!! How cute!

Love you!

Unknown said...

What lovely photos -- they so remind me of a winter I spent in Germany that it gives me a heart-pang! And I do think it might be a magnolia... Let's hope it's one of those deep blushing pink trees.

Jeremy Randall said...

Haha! Mmmmm.... Chocolate...

I have reason to believe that your tree in question is a Magnolia Soulangeana! Expect some beautiful purple/pink/white flowers to emerge from those fuzzy buds!

MoeyMichele said...

Sweet! Thanks Jeremy, and Morning! I was suspecting the tree might be a magnolia but it seemed almost too much after having found pine trees, oak trees, a buckeye, and a great big hydrangea -- all trees I've wanted to have since forever. And now, a magnolia. Fantastic.

Alipurr said...

love your outdoor pics....those two boys are precious...my baby boy is just 8 mos old, so i have tons to look forward to. How cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...