When Friendships Suffer

I have been doing soooo much thinking lately. So bear with me, if there are fewer pictures than words. So much going through my mind.

And you know I don't have any friends to share with.

LOL, not true, not true.

I do want to tell you about one longstanding friendship that may not have made it through this year of, shall we say, adjustment.

This particular friend and I had been close for about 20 years. Long time, now that I think about it, although it certainly doesn't seem that long.

We had our ups and downs, along the way, and my moves from continent to continent didn't make the friendship easier.

Well, when I moved back here, almost in the same suburb as this friend, only a couple of streets away, I assumed we would resume a close relationship.

But I didn't take into account the absolute draining I would experience from the move, and how I would have to not only recognize, but FEEL my losses.

And I didn't take into account that this friend would not be able to go there with me.

And I couldn't commiserate with her problems while desperately drowning in my own. She was feeling as though she "had nothing," while I was feeling that I had lost everything. I couldn't emotionally go there for her.

So, I left off that relationship, didn't return calls, didn't make dates to get together, and haven't seen her now for a year at least.

I know she is hurt.

Now, I feel a great deal healed, and I'd like to talk to her, patch things up.

Do you think it is too late?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think it is too late. If she is a true friend she will be glad you got in touch, and will be happy to pick up the friendship. I have friends who I haven't seen for more than a year, but we are busy mummies, and when we do get together it is like old times! If I was the friend you were talking about, I would just be glad to hear from you, and catch up!

Anonymous said...

The strain on your heart over this sounds like it is very difficult to hold. Making contact will most likely be very appreciated as lambechops said but even if things don't go well you will have a sort of closure which may be better. I really think that your friend will be very excited and if you come in honesty, also very forgiving

The Arts Collective said...

It's never too late.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I don't ever think it is to late to mend a friendship.

I am having a hard time with a friendship right now. I thought this person was my friend but now I am thinking other-wise. This friend is having a really hard time and her husband is very open in church about the problems that they are having....but when I ask how I can pray for her she saids there is nothing to pray about and everything is just fine?

I am also noticing that we don't have as much in common as I thought. We go to the same church but I am beginning to see we don't believe the same things.

Can you give me any help in this situation?

~Renee

Alipurr said...

certainly not too late.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...