Mothers' Day 2011

Deb and I had many adventures! We went to Amish country with Miss Rose and E, visited our grandmothers, and braved the rainy weather to see sights around the town as much as we could in a short time. But the day before Mothers Day, Deb and E had to go home to the other babies and Larry.

My kids and Daddy anticipated that it would be a sad Mothers Day for me, and they did everything they could to make it happier.
IMG_4823familytb
In the morning, I was encouraged to stay in bed for a while and read. When I was called to breakfast, all these gorgeous smiling faces greeted me.

IMG_4828planttb
Some very-much appreciated gifts had been bought! A tablecloth I had wished for, and this pretty petunia plant, and a bird-decorated ironwork hanger to hang it from. And some gorgeous handmade cards from my gorgeous, thoughtful children.

The kids had made baked oatmeal, fresh strawberries, orange juice and coffee, and there was probably other delicious stuff too, but I have a really bad memory, even for things that I really appreciate.

IMG_4834prayingmantishatchtb
Early that afternoon, a praying mantis somewhere became a mommy. We had seen this funny thing in the japanese maple, and thought it was some kind of cocoon, so I was surprised when I walked out in the yard, to see this wet-tissue-looking mass hanging from the "cocoon."

IMG_4836prayingmantistb
When I went closer and saw what it was, wow -- it was so fascinating watching the teeny tiny praying mantises squeezing out like little worms, and then unfolding their antennae and legs, one by one by one. It was very methodical and machinelike and lifelike all at the same time. All the children came out and watched, and the neighbor kids came and had a look too.

IMG_4840katebaketb
When Deb and I were up in Amish country, we did some spring yard-saleing at whatever interesting sales we came across as we were driving around. We picked up such a lot of cool stuff, books and music and clothes and crystal candy jars -- but of course, the item that really got the baby girls going was the Easy Bake Oven.

I think I have wanted an Easy Bake Oven, myself, for, like, forever. I mean, how fun are they!
IMG_4846tobybaketb
On Mothers Day, we spent the afternoon baking little cakes with Gater and Bert. We found that ten minutes per cake is a very long time to wait when you are two or four years old. But wait they did.

IMG_4848katebaketb
Our first cake was such a bright pink, and it tasted pretty much like cooked playdough. I learned since then that it is a better idea to just throw the ingredients together myself. I've been cooking a long time, lol.

IMG_4864cakedogtb
But anyway, Gater very much enjoyed serving teeny tiny wedges of cake to everyone in the family. Ellie wanted some too but Gater was very adamant that the cake was *not* for doggies.

IMG_4867annietb
Wannie was sold on the cake for sure.

IMG_4869kateeattb
Gater thought it was pretty good. She immediately wanted to make more, in different colors.

IMG_4871emeattb
Miss Rose enjoyed the cake too, just as much as anyone can enjoy cake with the color and aroma of playdough.

IMG_4874anniehandtb
This is to remind us of why we should wash out-door-babies' hands before they eat. Oh well, call it natural vaccination. She survived. She even liked it.

IMG_4879rohancandlestb

Align CenterThis centerpiece is brought to you by Roks. He made all those flowers, all by himself, which is quite a big undertaking for a six-year-old boy. I was pretty impressed and I asked him where he got the great idea for those flowers. He was too embarrassed to tell me! Which made me all the more curious, because I could not imagine why he would be embarrassed -- was he looking at something he shouldn't have? Well, he finally admitted that he learned how to make the flowers from that "whiny baby show", Caillou! LOL

Roks also made the beeswax candles. He had made four hand-dipped candles, and gave them to his most favorite people. One for the pastor, one for Mrs. F, and two for me. He is such a sweetie, and has such a creative spark.

So that was my Mothers Day this year, and it was not too sad after all. It was a very good day.

4 comments:

The Arts Collective said...

You have been very busy posting all the photos lately--VERY MUCH appreciated! What a lovely Mother's Day surprise! XO

Deb said...

It looks like you had a lovely Mothers' Day. I'm sure I did, too, but I can't remember. I do remember saying "happy Mothers' Day" to Shelly, I think. hmmm. lol. Oh yes, was that the day I went to SDC?

Deb said...

BTW, the tablecloth/flowers/fruit/candles combination is really pretty!

Katie Jo said...

Hey! That is what we think of Caillou around here, too : ) So stinkin' whiny that kid! Great flowers though! Thanks for coming by my blog and following. Love your blog, too! Gonna follow yours as well....you are very real and I appreciate real!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...